Upon finishing her undergraduate degree in English Linguistics at King Abdulaziz University in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, and gaining the highest GPA award for three consecutive years, Hala started working as a Teaching Assistant at the same Institution.
She then received a scholarship from King Abdulaziz University to pursue her Masters education at the University of Leeds in the UK, which she was awarded with Distinction. She is currently completing a DPhil in Applied Linguistics at the University of Oxford, also funded by King Abdulaziz University.
Hala’s research interests lie in the area of second language reading, particularly in relation to the lower-level processes involved in reading, and predictors of reading comprehension ability.
- Alghamdi, H. (2014, March) An imbalanced form-meaning link: the case of Saudi EFL learners. Paper presented at the 20th international TESOL Arabia conference. Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Alghamdi, H. (2015, January) Arab ESL readers’ ‘vowel blindness’: a critical review. Paper presented at the 8th SSC conference. Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom.
- Alghamdi, H. (2015, September) The Psycholinguistic Grain Size Theory revisited: the role of context in Arabic reading. Paper presented at the 5th UK Orthography annual meeting. University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom.
- Alghamdi, H. and Woore, R (2018, September) The contribution of second language decoding proficiency to second language reading comprehension. Paper presented at the British Association for Applied Linguistics 51st Annual conference. University of York St. John, York, United Kingdom.
- Alghamdi, H., Woore, R, and Alahmadi, B (2019, August). The Relative Importance of five predictors of L2 reading comprehension: evidence from Dominance analysis and Relative Weight Analysis. Paper presented at EUROSLA 29th Annual conference. University of Lund, Lund, Sweden.
- Alghamdi, H (2020, January) Can L2 decoding proficiency predict L2 reading comprehension performance? Paper accepted for presentation at ELT Saudi 2020 conference and expo. Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.