Ebru Kaya is an Associate Professor of science education at Bogazici University, Turkey. Her research interests include argumentation and nature of science in science education. Dr. Kaya is the recipient of the Young Scientist Award from Science Academy in Turkey in 2015; the Outstanding Paper Award from East-Asian Association for Science Education (EASE) in Japan in 2016; and the Young Scientist Award from TUBITAK (Turkish Scientific and Technological Research Council) in 2017.
She received her PhD from Middle East Technical University, Turkey in 2011. She was a visiting scholar at University of Bristol, UK in 2009 and at National Taiwan Normal University, Taiwan in 2016 and 2017. Dr. Kaya has participated in research projects funded by TUBITAK (Turkish Scientific and Technological Research Council) and NARST, and conducted professional development workshops for science teachers in Turkey, Rwanda, Lebanon, and Taiwan. She served as a board member in Turkish Science Education and Research Association from 2012 to 2014, and a committee member in NARST Outstanding Paper Award Committee from 2013 to 2015. She currently serves as the Nature of Science Strand Co-coordinator for ESERA. Dr. Kaya is a reviewer for numerous journals including International Journal of Science Education and Science & Education. Dr. Kaya has been the Principal Investigator of the projects entitled “Nature of Science in Science Teacher Education: A Comparative Research and Development Project”, “University Students’ Understanding of Reconceptualized Family Resemblance Approach to Nature of Science: A Case Study”, and “Integration of Reconceptualized Family Resemblance Approach to Nature of Science in 5th Grade Science Content” funded by Bogazici University Research Fund. She is the co-author of the book “Transforming Teacher Education through the Epistemic Core of Chemistry: Empirical Evidence and Practical Strategies” published by Springer.
- Erduran, S. & Kaya, E. (2019). Transforming Teacher Education through the Epistemic Core of Chemistry: Empirical Evidence and Practical Strategies. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Erduran, S., Kaya, E., & Dagher, Z. (2018). From lists in pieces to coherent wholes: Nature of science, scientific practices, and science teacher education. In, J. Yeo, T. W. Teo & K. S. Tang (Eds.), Research and Practice in the Asia-Pacific Region (pp.3-24), Dordrecht: Springer.
- Erduran, S., Kaya, E., & Cetin, P. S. (2018). Consolidation of conceptual change, argumentation, models and explanations: Why it matters for science education. In, T. Amin, & O. Levrini (Eds.), Converging and Complementary Perspectives on Conceptual Change (pp.153-162). London: Routledge.
- Erduran, S., & Kaya, E. (2018). STEM’in Dogasi: Aile Benzerligi Yaklasimi’nin STEM Eğitimi’ne Uygulanmasi. D. In Akgunduz (Eds), Okul Oncesinden Universiteye Kuram ve Uygulamada STEM Eğitimi (pp. 51-67), Ankara: Ani Yayincilik.
- Erduran, S., Kaya, E., Cullinane, A., Imren, O., & Kaya, S. (in press). Practical learning resources and teacher education strategies for promoting understanding of the nature of science. In, W. McComas (Ed.)., Nature of Science in Science Education: Rationales and Strategies, Second Edition. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Erduran, S., Kaya, E., & Avraamidou, L. (in press). Does research on nature of science and social justice intersect? Exploring theoretical and practical convergence for science education. In H. Yacoubian & L. Hansson (Eds.), Nature of Science for Social Justice. Dordrecht: Springer.
Articles published in the journals that are indexed in SCI (Science Citation Index), SSCI (Social Science Citation Index), AHCI (Arts and Humanities Citation Index)
- Cetin, P. S., Kaya, E., & Geban, O. (2009). Facilitating conceptual change in gases concepts. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 18(2), 130-137.
- Kaya, E. & Geban, O. (2012). Facilitating conceptual change in rate of reaction concepts using conceptual change oriented instruction. Education and Science, 37(163), 216-225.
- Aydeniz, M., Pabuccu, A., Cetin, P. S., & Kaya, E. (2012). Argumentation and students’ conceptual understanding of properties and behaviors of gases. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 10(6), 1303-1324. DOI: 10.1007/s10763-012-9336-1.
- Kaya, E. & Erduran, S. (2013). Integrating epistemological perspectives on chemistry in chemical education: The cases of concept duality, chemical language, and structural explanations. Science & Education, 22(7), 1741-1755. DOI: 10.1007/s11191-011-9399-3.
- Kaya, E. (2013). Argumentation practices in classroom: Pre-service teachers’ conceptual understanding of chemical equilibrium. International Journal of Science Education, 35(7), 1139-1158. DOI:10.1080/09500693.2013.770935.
- Erduran, S. & Kaya, E. (2016). Scientific argumentation and deliberative democracy: An incompatible mix in school science? Theory into Practice. 55(4), 302-310. DOI: 10.1080/00405841.2016.1208067.
- Kaya, E. & Erduran, S. (2016). From FRA to RFN, or how the family resemblance approach can be transformed for science curriculum analysis on nature of science. Science & Education, 25(9), 1115-1133.
- Erduran, S. & Kaya, E. (2018). Drawing nature of science in pre-service science teacher education: Epistemic insight through visual representations. Research in Science Education, 48(6), 1133-1149. DOI: 10.1007/s11165-018-9773-0.
- Kaya, E., Erduran, S., Aksoz, B., & Akgun, S. (2019). Reconceptualised family resemblance approach to nature of science in pre-service science teacher education. International Journal of Science Education, 41(1), 21-47. DOI: 10.1080/09500693.2018.1529447.
Articles published in the journals not indexed in SCI, SSCI, and AHCI
- Kaya, E., Erduran, S., & Cetin, P. S. (2010). High school students’ perceptions of argumentation. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2(2), 3971-3975.
- Kaya, E. & Geban, O. (2011). The effect of conceptual change based instruction on students’ attitudes toward chemistry. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 15, 515-519.
- Aydeniz, M. & Kaya, E. (2012). Factors impacting Turkish students¹ attitudes towards science and their academic performance in science. Journal of Turkish Science Education, 9(2), 25-48.
- Kaya, E. & Cetin, P. S. (2012). Investigation of pre-service chemistry teachers’ chemistry laboratory anxiety levels. International Journal of New Trends in Education and Their Implications, 3(3), 90-98.
- Kaya, E., Erduran, S., & Cetin, P. S. (2012). Discourse, argumentation, and science lessons: Match or mismatch in high school students’ perceptions and understanding? Mevlana International Journal of Education, 2(3), 1-32.
- Kaya, E., Cetin, P. S., & Yildirim, A. (2012). Transformation of centralized curriculum into classroom practice: An analysis of teachers’ experiences. International Journal of Curriculum and Instructional Studies, 2(3), 103-113.
- Kaya, E. (2018). Argumentation in elementary science education: addressing methodological issues and conceptual understanding. Cultural Studies in Science Education, 13(4), 1087-1090. DOI: 10.1007/s11422-017-9848-7.
Articles published in the National Journals
- Akcay, H. Alpat, S. K, Oter, O., Demir, D., Ozbayrak, O., Kaya, E., Acar, B., & Bekci, Z. (2001). Analitik kimyada aktif öğrenme: Asit baz indikatörlerinin değişik çözgenlerde öğrenci tasarımlı titrasyon uygulamaları. Buca Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi, 13, 69-74.
- Cetin, P. S., Erduran, S., & Kaya, E. (2010). Understanding the nature of chemistry and argumentation: The case of pre-service chemistry teachers. Kırşehir Üniversitesi Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi (KEFAD), 11(4), 41-59.
- Kaya, E. & Yildirim, A. (2014). Science anxiety among failing students. Elementary Education Online, 13(2), 518-525.
- Kaya, E., Cetin, P. S., & Erduran, S. (2014). Adaptation of two argumentation tests in Turkish. Elementary Education Online,13(3), 1014-1032.
- Cetin, P. S., Kutluca, A. Y., & Kaya, E. (2014). Öğrencilerin argümantasyon kalitelerinin incelenmesi. Fen Bilimleri Öğretimi Dergisi, 2(1), 56-66.
- Cetin, P. S., Kaya, E., & Geban, O. (2014). Students’, pre-service teachers’, and in-service teachers’ views about constructivist implementations. Necatibey Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi, 8(2), 143-163.
- Kaya, E. & Erduran, S. (2016). Yeniden kavramsallaştırılmış “Aile Benzerliği Yaklaşımı”: Fen eğitiminde bilimin doğasına bütünsel bir bakış açısı, Türk Fen Eğitimi Dergisi, 13(2), 76-89.
- Cetin, P. S., Metin, D., & Kaya, E. (2016). Laboratuvar uygulamalarında yeni bir yaklaşım: Argüman temelli sorgulayıcı araştırma (ATSA). Kırşehir Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi. 17(2), 223-242.
- Erduran, S., Kaya, E., & Cetin, P. S. (2016). Pre-service teachers’ perceptions of argumentation: Impact of a teacher education project in Rwanda. Bogazici University Journal of Education, 33(1), 5-25.
- Kaya, E., Erduran, S., Akgun, S., & Aksoz, B. (2017). Öğretmen eğitiminde bilimin doğası: Bütünsel bir yaklaşım. Necatibey Eğitim Fakültesi Elektronik Fen ve Matematik Eğitimi Dergisi, 11(2), 464-501.