All of our web pages use ‘cookies’. A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we place on your computer or mobile device if you agree. These cookies allow us to distinguish you from other users of our website, which helps us to provide you with a good experience when you browse our website and enables us to improve our website.
TYPES OF COOKIES WE USE
We use the following types of cookies:
- strictly necessary cookies – these are essential in to enable you to move around the websites and use their features. Without these cookies the services you have asked for, such as registering for an account, cannot be provided.
- performance cookies – these cookies collect information about how visitors use a website, for instance which pages visitors go to most often. We use this information to improve our websites and to aid us in investigating problems raised by visitors. These cookies do not collect information that identifies a visitor.
- functionality cookies – these cookies allow the website to remember choices you make and provide more personal features. For instance, a functional cookie can be used to remember the volume level you prefer to use when watching videos on our websites. The information these cookies collect may be anonymised and they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them please visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org/.
SPECIFIC COOKIES WE USE
Cookies may be set either by the Department of Education’s website (‘first party cookies’), or by a third party website (‘third party cookies’). The lists below identify the cookies we use and explain the purposes for which they are used.
However, we continue to collect information about third-party cookies and the tables below are based on the work completed to date. Accordingly, we may update the information contained in this section from time to time. Additionally, some cookies may be set from time to time by feeds from third party websites that we make available on our sites.
FIRST PARTY COOKIES
- webauth_at is a secure cookie used to keep you logged in, it will be deleted when you close your browser
- serverid is also used to keep you logged in, it will be deleted when you close your browser
- isEditBarHidden records the position of editing tools on the page, it is set to expire in three years from the last time you edited the website.
THIRD PARTY COOKIES
If you are a visitor to the site, you may find that embedded content (e.g. from YouTube, Google maps etc) will place cookies on your computer. More information about these Third Party cookies can be found in the University’s Cookie Statement.
CHANGES TO OUR COOKIE STATEMENT
Any changes we may make to our Cookie Statement in the future will be posted on this page.