Initially a primary teacher for ten years, Hilary spent ten years at the, now, University of Worcester as Head of Primary Teacher Education and then Dean of Education and Psychology. She led the London Centre for Leadership at the Institute of Education, University of London.
Hilary worked for the national assessment organisation on primary assessment and art examining; the Teacher Training Agency on initial teacher training; the Department for Education Standards and Effectiveness Unit as an Education Adviser, then Chief Adviser for Children’s services; and for the last four years as an Executive Director for the Training and Development Agency for Schools leading on school workforce development and children’s services.
- Emery, H.F., Murphy, R. and Saunders, N. (1990), Topics in Assessment, Longman
- Emery, H.F. (1993), ‘Baseline Assessment: a National Survey’, Child Education, Scholastic
- Campbell, J. and Emery H.F. (1994), “Curriculum Policy for Key Stage 2: Possibilities, contradictions and constraints” Look before you Leap , A Pollard (ed.) Tuffnell Press
- Emery, H.F. (1995), “Involving Children in their own Assessment”, Cross Curricular Topics. Rosemary Webb (ed.) Falmer
- Emery, H.F. (1997), “Men Into Primary Teaching”, British Journal of Curriculum and Assessment, March, Hodder and Stoughton
- Emery, H.F. (1998) “A National Curriculum for the Education and Training of Teachers: an English perspective”, Journal of In-Service Education,Vol. 24, No 2 Triangle Journals Ltd
- Emery, H.F. (2001), Professional Development and Enhancing Teacher Quality. Paper presented to the Chilean International Conference on Teacher Education and Quality, Sanitago, Chile April 2001.
- McKenzie, P., Emery, H.F., Santiago, P., Slivka (April 2004), A., Attracting, Retaining and Developing Effective Teachers: Country Note: The Flemish Community of Belgium, OECD web site within Attracting, Retaining a nd developing Effective Teachers project site.
- Riley, K. Emery, H. (2007), in Education in a Global City: Essays from London by Leisha Fullick (Ed.) and Tim Brighouse (Ed.) London: Institute of Education (2007).
- Emery, H. (2010), A Strategy for Pedagogical Development : Teachers reflecting on and improving their classroom practice and pupils’ knowledge and understanding, unpublished.
- 1988: Primary to secondary transfer and assessment, the Primary School Pupil Assessment Project, Southampton University
- 1989-1997: PhD thesis: The Impact of the National Curriculum and its assessment on teachers’ assessment practice at Key Stage 1
- 1993: Entry assessment of children: a survey of LEA practice, for the publication ‘Child Education’
- 1993-1995: Development of Key Stage 1 reading tests for SCAA
- 1995: Career Entry Profile Development for TTA
- 1996-1997: Key Stage 2 Assessment and Testing evaluation research report for SCAA
- 1997: Factors Relating to Curriculum Provision which are Common Amongst Excluded Pupils research report for QCA
- 1997-1998: Key Stage 3 Assessment and Testing evaluation research report for QCA
- 1998: Key Stage 2 Assessment and Testing evaluation research report for QCA
- 2010: Review for DfE on Pedagogy and Practice.