The massive impacts teachers have on students, learning and in a broad sense, the future of our society have driven Jessica to research pedagogy, theories of learning and teacher professional development.
Her research interests and foci can be described as:
- Vygotskian and post-Vygotskian concepts in human development
- Pedagogy; educational assessment
- Teacher education and professional development
- Methodological issues in Cultural-historical theory
- Learning in groups; classroom interaction
- Conditions of effective teaching
- Slightly crossing the boundary, Jessica is also keen on bringing the fruits of educational research to medicine, especially in medical education and inter-professional work in health services.