Faidra is a DPhil student in the Department of Education, in collaboration with the Department of Experimental Psychology.
Before joining the DPhil programme, Faidra obtained a BA in Linguistics from UCL and an MSc in Applied Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition from the University of Oxford. As part of her studies, she completed an Erasmus Placement at the University of Utrecht and an internship at Queen Mary’s Laboratory of Experimental Linguistics. Furthermore, she has a CELTA from UCL’s Centre for Languages and International Education and substantial experience in teaching EFL to adults and children.
In her DPhil research, Faidra investigates Greek children’s acquisition of English as a Foreign Language at preschool. The main aim of her research is to discover if (and if so, how) children’s knowledge of a first language affects their development in the second language. In addition, she aims to evaluate how the educational programme children attend (i.e. submersion, immersion or EFL lessons) and their knowledge of vocabulary and/or grammar impacts their linguistic development. To achieve her aims, Faidra tests children’s use of specific linguistic structures in English (which either have or do not have corresponding Greek versions) in a series of experimental language production tasks. Faidra’s research is funded by the ESRC.
- Child L1, L2 and 2L1 acquisition
- Morphosyntax – Early Years Education
- Foreign Language Education
- English language teaching and learning
- Faitaki, F. (September, 2019). The role of linguistic proficiency, crosslinguistic transfer and exposure in Greek EAL children’s acquisition of English and Greek. Paper presented at the 2nd International Conference on Child Foreign/Second Language Learning, Cracow, Poland.
- Faitaki, F., Murphy, V.A. & Nation, K. (July, 2019). Linguistic differences and crosslinguistic influence: the case of Greek children learning English as an Additional Language. Poster presented at the Child Language Symposium 2019, Sheffield, UK.
- Faitaki, F., Murphy, V.A., & Nation, K. (September, 2018). Investigating Crosslinguistic Influence in English-Greek Successive Bilinguals: Methodology in Practice. Paper presented at the 28th European Second Language Association Conference Doctoral Workshop, Münster, Germany.
- Faitaki, F. & Murphy, V.A. (June, 2018). Crosslinguistic influence in English-Greek successive bilingual children’s production of null and overt subject pronouns. Poster presented at the Child Language Symposium 2018, Reading, UK.
- Faitaki, F. & Murphy, V.A. (April, 2018). English-Greek successive bilingual children’s production of subject pronouns. Poster presented at the 14th Experimental Methods in Language Acquisition Research Workshop, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
- Faitaki, F. (September, 2017). The development of subject pronouns in Greek children learning English at preschool. Paper presented at the 13th International Conference on Greek Linguistics, Westminster, UK.
Faitaki, F. (2018). Becoming bilingual at preschool: Greek children’s acquisition of subject pronouns in English. The EAL Journal.