Edward W. Wolfe is a Principal Research Scientist in the Research and Innovations Network at Pearson.
In that position, he conducts research relating to human raters and automated scoring as well as providing operational support for Australia’s National Assessment Program – Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN) and the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS). Dr. Wolfe previously held academic appointments at the University of Florida, Michigan State University, and Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
Dr. Wolfe’s research interests include applications of latent trait models to detecting and correcting rater effects, modeling rater cognition, evaluating automated scoring, and applications of multidimensional and multifaceted latent trait models to instrument development. His research has recently been published in several notable peer review journals, including Educational and Psychological Measurement, the International Journal of Testing, and the Journal of Educational Measurement. He also serves on the editorial board of several journals, including the Journal of Applied Measurement and the Journal of Writing Assessment, and he has served as a representative of Pearson to committees sponsored by the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO).
Peer review publications (2009-2013)
- Song, T., & Wolfe, E.W. (2013). RaschFit.sas: A SAS macro for generating Rasch model expected values, residuals, and fit statistics, Applied Psychological Measurement, 37, 253-254.
- Wolfe, E.W. (2013). A boostrap approach to evaluating person and item fit to the Rasch model, Journal of Applied Measurement, 14, 1-9.
- Chow, T., Olsen, B., & Wolfe, E.W. (2012). Development, content validity and piloting of an instrument designed to measure managers’ attitude toward workplace breastfeeding support, Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 112, 1042-1047.
- Dietrich, C.B., Wolfe, E.W., & Vanhoy, G.M. (2012). Cognitive radio testing using psychometric approaches: applicability and proof of concept study, Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, 72, 1-10.
- He, W., & Wolfe, E.W. (2012). Treatment of not-administered items on individually administered intelligence tests. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 72, 808-826.
- Lai, E.R., Auchter, J.E., & Wolfe, E.W., (2012). Confirmatory factor analysis of certification assessment scores from the National Board of Professional Teaching Standards. International Journal of Educational and Psychological Assessment, 9, 61-81.
- Wolfe, E.W., & McGill, M.T. (2012). Comparability of item quality indices from sparse data matrices with random and non-random missing data patterns. Journal of Applied Measurement, 12, 358-369.
- Wolfe, E.W., & McVay, A. (2012). Applications of latent trait models to identifying substantively interesting raters. Educational Measurement: Issues and Practices, 31(4), 31-37.
- Barnes, B.J., Chard, L.A., Wolfe, E.W., Stassen, M.L.A., & Williams, E.A. (2011). An evaluation of the psychometric properties of the graduate advising survey for doctoral students. International Journal of Doctoral Studies, 6, 1-17.
- Wolfe, E.W., & Singh, K. (2011). A comparison of structural equation and multidimensional Rasch modeling approaches to confirmatory factor analysis. Journal of Applied Measurement, 12, 212-221.
- Bodenhorn, N., Wolfe, E.W., & *Airens, O. (2010). School counselor program choice and self-efficacy: Relationship to achievement gap and equity. Professional School Counseling, 13, 165-174.
- He, W., & Wolfe, E.W. (2010). Item equivalence in English and Chinese translations of a cognitive development test for preschoolers. International Journal of Testing, 10, 80-94.
- Miyazaki, Y., Sugisawa, T., & Wolfe, E.W. (2010). Comparing the performance of different transformations in fixed-effects meta-analysis of reliability coefficient. Japanese Journal for Research on Testing, 16, 1-15.
- Skaggs, G.E., & Wolfe, E.W. (2010). Equating applications via the Rasch model. Journal of Applied Measurement, 11, 182-195.
- Wolfe, E.W., & Matthews, S., & Vickers, D. (2010). The effectiveness and efficiency of distributed online, regional online, and regional face-to-face training for writing assessment raters. Journal of Technology, Learning, and Assessment, 10, 1-21.
- Wolfe, E.W. & VanDerLinden, K.E. (2010). Development of scales relating to professional development in community college administrators. Journal of Applied Measurement, 11, 142-157.
- Myford, C.M., & Wolfe, E.W. (2009). Monitoring rater performance over time: A framework for detecting differential accuracy and differential scale category use. Journal of Educational Measurement, 46, 371-389.
- Wolfe, E.W., Hickey, D.T., & Kindfield, A.H.C. (2009). An application of the multidimensional random coefficients multinomial logit model to evaluating cognitive models of reasoning in genetics. Journal of Applied Measurement, 10, 196-207.
- Wolfe, E.W. (2009). Item and rater analysis of constructed response items via the multi-faceted Rasch model. Journal of Applied Measurement, 10, 335-347.
- Wolfe, E.W., Converse, P.D., *Airens, O., & Bodenhorn, N. (2009). Unit and item non-responses and ancillary information in web- and paper-based questionnaires administered to school counselors. Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development, 42, 92-103.