Jill Adler is an investigator on the Nuffield funded project “Developing Language-Responsive Mathematics Classrooms” lead by Jenni Ingram with Núria Planas and Kirstin Erath.
She is Professor of Mathematics Education at the University of the Witwatersrand in South Africa, and has led large mathematics teacher professional development and research projects, with foci on resources and language practices, building on seminal work in both areas.
- Adler, J (2001) Teaching mathematics in multilingual classrooms. Kluwer Academic Publishers. Dordrecht.
- Adler, J. & Sfard, A. (Eds.) (2017) Research for educational change: Transforming researchers’ insights into improvement in mathematics teaching and learning. Routledge: London.
- Adler, J (2000) Conceptualising resources as a theme for mathematics teacher education. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education. 3. 3. 205-224.
- Adler, J. & Davis, Z. (2006). Opening another black box: Researching mathematics for teaching in mathematics teacher education. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 37(4), 270-296.
- Adler, J. (2021). Levering change: the contributory role of a mathematics teaching framework. ZDM – Mathematics Education, 1-14. doi:10.1007/s11858-021-01273-y
- Adler, J., Mwadzaangati, L. and Takker, S. (2022), “From defining as assertion to defining as explaining meaning: teachers’ learning through theory-informed lesson study”, International Journal for Lesson and Learning Studies, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJLLS-02-2022-0029