Alis Oancea is Professor of Philosophy of Education and Research Policy.
She specialises in studies of research practice, policy and governance and in philosophy of research – including research ecosystems, research assessment, impact and knowledge exchange, research funding, research quality, evaluation, open knowledge practices, research ethics, capacity, publication practices, research careers and the cultural value of research in the arts and the humanities.
This strand of work is complemented with a strong interest in teacher education research, innovation in teacher education policy and practice, knowledge and values in the teaching profession, and the role of research in teacher education.
Alis has two PhDs, one in policy and governance for research (from the University of Oxford), and one in epistemology and research; as well as an honorary doctorate (Doctor Honoris Causa Socialium Scientiarium) from the University of the West, Timisoara. Leadership roles have included Director of Research and REF 2021 coordinator in the department (2016-20 and Deputy Director for Research before that) and Senior Academic Advisor on Impact, University of Oxford.
She was also Executive Council member and trustee of the British Educational Research Association in the early 2010s. She currently leads a three-year ESRC/ CGHE research-on-research project of international scale, and is joint editor of Oxford Review of Education and Chief Editorial Advisor, Routledge Open Research (Education).
Recent professional activity includes:
- Director of Research, Department of Education, University of Oxford
- REF 2021 Coordinator, Department of Education, University of Oxford
- Doctor Honoris Causa of the University of the West, Timisoara
- Senior Academic Advisor on Research Impact for REF2014, University of Oxford
- Joint Editor, Oxford Review of Education
- Chief Editorial Advisor, Routledge Open Research (Education)
- Research Coordinator, Kellogg College, Oxford
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the EC Expert Group on “Indicator frameworks for fostering open knowledge practices in science and scholarship”
- Member of the International Advisory Panel for the reform of teacher education in Norway, 2017-20 – see “Transforming Norwegian Teacher Education” report
- Member of the Peer Review College of the Economic and Social Research Council and of the Arts and Humanities Research Council
- Vice-chair, Horizon Europe funding calls
- Chair of grant panels, Norwegian Agency for International Cooperation and Quality Enhancement in Higher Education
- Grant panel, Academy of Finland
- Member of the UCET working group on the Intellectual Base of Teacher Education (2019-20)
- Secretary, Oxford Branch of the Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain
- Member of Research Management Committee, ESRC Centre for Global Higher Education
- Co-convenor of Philosophy, Religion and Education research group, Oxford
- Lead of the BERA Observatory of Educational Research, 2015; co-lead of the report on ‘The capacity and impact of education research in the UK’ for the Royal Society and British Academy 2018 joint enquiry on educational research; and lead of the evidence review on “The landscape of educational research in the UK (2010-20)”, also for the two Academies.
Selected past engagements
- Joint Editor, Review of Education (2012-16)
- Lead Editor of ‘Research Intelligence’ (2010-12)
- Deputy Director for Research, Department of Education, University of Oxford (2012-16)
- Pro-Proctor, University of Oxford (2017-18)
- Research theme coordinator, Policy, Economy and Society (2014-16), Department of Education, University of Oxford
- Elected Executive Council member and trustee of the British Educational Research Association (2009-12)
- Council member of the European Educational Research Association (2011-12)
- Editorial board member: Review of Education; Educational Theory (review board)
- Member of grant panel, research centres, ESRC
- Vice-chair, Horizon 2020 calls
- Member of the Horizons2020 and Periscope Working Groups, EERA
- Member of BERA’s Academic Publications Committee
- Organising Committee Member, ECER 2014 (London) (2011-12)
- Member of the Research and International Forum of UCET and of the UCET/BERA Working Group on the future of educational research (2011-12)
- Member of the Planning Group of the UK Strategic Forum for Research in Education (2009-10)
- External Examiner