Dr. Twing is Senior Vice President at Pearson Assessments and Honorary Research Fellow at OUCEA.
He is responsible for educational and certification assessment services globally for Pearson and has most recently been providing measurement, statistical and psychometric consultation across the globe. He believes the gap between what is known and needed in local jurisdictions around the world and best practices in education, specifically research, assessment, training and reform is staggering. He wants to help bridge this gap by linking the OUCEA and Oxford’s greater expertise to applications around the world. He feels that by working closely with the experts at OUCEA as he travels and implements consultancy and fulfillment internationally he will be able to improve learning locally while also providing opportunity for OUCEA to expand and influence education.
Dr Twing’s role encompasses the following:
- Responsible for all educational, licensure and certifications measurement decisions and policies for Pearson Assessments
Consults with Pearson senior executives regarding learning systems, measurement and measurement research
- Responsible for expansion of Pearson learning services as they apply to measurement worldwide
Provides senior leadership for Pearson growth strategy, publishing strategy, and business development
- Leads and guides business strategy, focusing on development, marketing, and validity/measurement rigor of potential products and services
- Responsible for several operational groups at Pearson:
- Content Development Services
- Psychometric and Testing Services
- Assessment Accessibility
- Assessment Publishing
- Provides oversight for an organization of approximately 500 content specialists, editors, assessment consultants, statistical analysts, research scientists, publishing and quality assurance specialists
- Responsible for all content development and psychometric functions (e.g., scaling, equating, DIF analyses and legal defensibility) for various assessment programs and interim and benchmark assessment globally
- Estimation of norms distributions from incomplete data
- Linking assessments when assumptions are violated
- Many-faceted performance scoring
- Legal defensibility of assessment
- Innovative and technology enhanced assessments
- Making assessments accessible to all
- Twing, J. S., & O’Malley, K. J., (2018). Validity and reliability of direct assessments. In Cumming, T. & Miller, M. D., Eds., Enhancing Assessment in Higher Education: Putting Psychometrics to Work. Stylus Publishing, LLC.
- Tognolini, J., & Twing, J. S., Normalization of the Joint Institute of Technology Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) and State Specific Institutes of Technology (IITs) for Selection when Assumptions are Violated. Research Publication Commissioned by the Central Board of Secondary Education (India) on the behalf of the Centre for Assessment, Evaluation and Research (CAER), New Delhi, India, 2013.
- McClarty, K. L., O’Malley, K. J., Way, W. D., & Twing, J. S. A comprehensive approach to college and career readiness. Paper submitted to Educational Measurement: Issues and Practices, 03 April, 2013.
- Twing, J.S. Development of Open Technology Standards. Submitted to US Department of Education (USED) Office of Special Education Programs, in response to USED post concerning development of open technology standards for managing and delivering student assessments and assessment results, 7 November 2011.
- Twing, J.S. Assessment Technology Standards Request for Information. Submitted to US Department of Education (USED) Office of Educational Technology, 17 January 2011.